Instrumental Music Boosters
The Whitman Instrumental Music Boosters Club is a 501(c)(3) organization that supports the school’s instrumental music program in a variety of ways. These include:
- Raising funds to cover expenses essential to maintaining the high quality of the program such as; sheet music, instrument tuning and maintenance, stipends for guest clinicians, CD recordings, concert attire, professional development for factuality, scholarships for students who would otherwise not be able to participate in activities, and special purchases such as sheet music storage systems.
- Keeping families informed of instrumental music department activities via email, website, and meetings.
- Providing ongoing administrative assistance to the instrumental music department for tasks such as; fitting concert attire, working with the Festival of the Arts Committee, coordinating luggage check-in for the annual music trip, and chaperoning concerts.
- Organizing social events including a fall party, the winter concert receptions, and end-of-year music awards night.
- The instrumental music Boosters is open to all parents of students in the instrumental music program. There is a niche for every parent who wishes to become involved. It is a terrific way to connect to the Whitman music community.
The Boosters Club holds two meetings each year to discuss upcoming events and gain parent input on activities. An introductory meeting is held in the fall; the second meeting takes place just before the spring music trip. Please check the calendar and listserv announcements for details.
The Boosters Club sponsors a Yahoo group to provide parents and students with timely information about the instrumental music department. Please be sure to join the WhitmanInstrumental listserv. Click here for instructions. Listserv members may unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the “unsubscribe” button at the bottom of any listserv email or by sending an email here.
Volunteers and Volunteering
There are many opportunities to volunteer throughout the year, either by filling any open slot listed below and/or helping with any Booster Club event, including those listed below. To volunteer, contact either of the co-chairs listed below and watch for listserv announcements seeking volunteers!
2018/19 Instrumental Music Booster Committee Volunteers
President- Ellen Wright [email protected]
Treasurer- Kathy O’Connor
List Serve Coordinator– Theresa Fong, maintains the Instrumental Music list serve
Jazz Band Coordinator– Michelle Brafman and Tom Helf. Assist in the coordination of Jazz Band events.
Ladies Concert Dresses- Miriam Chernick and Jennifer Cooper Assist the women of the various instrumental music ensembles with fittings of performance attire.
Men’s Uniforms- Miriam Chernick and Jennifer Cooper Assist the men of the various instrumental music ensembles with fittings of performance attire.
Music Trip Luggage Coordinator- Deborah Szyfer. Work with choral music counterpart to manage luggage check-in, pick-up, and volunteers.
Annual Party Host- Alan and Louise Fisch. Host the Pot-luck Music Booster Party at your home.
Annual Party Coordinator- Bill and Inna Blackwelder. Organize food and volunteers for the annual party.
Hospitality Committee- Jennifer Cooper, Lauren Lieberman. Organize refreshments and volunteers for various events throughout the year.
Awards Banquet– Jennifer Snow Organize the food and volunteers for year-end banquet.
Photographers- Additional VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! June Miller. (Student volunteers eligible for SSL Hours) Photograph Instrumental Music Events for website and publications
Boosters Club Events
Annual Garden Party
A main event for the Music Boosters is our Annual Garden Party, an opportunity for parents and faculty to meet and mingle in the home of a Whitman family. Usually held in the fall, this social event provides a time and place for all gather over good food (provided by parent volunteers) while enjoying music provided by our students.
Winter Concert Reception
To celebrate our students’ musical accomplishments, the Music Boosters hosts a short reception in the school cafeteria immediately following the Winter Concert. The Boosters Club welcomes parents’ contributions of food and beverages, as well as volunteer assistance.
Instrumental Awards Banquet
Whitman’s Instrumental Music Awards night is held in late spring, shortly before the end of the school year. Students are treated to a buffet dinner coordinated by parent volunteers. Following the dinner, parents are invited to watch the ceremony. In addition to the prestigious awards for outstanding members of band, orchestra, and jazz, many other recognitions are given to students in all grades.
“Know the Score”: the Booster Club Newsletter
Click below to view recent newsletters:
Click below to view archived newsletters and minutes of past Instrumental Music Booster meetings: